A month ago, I finally got around to switching out our fall/winter bedroom for our spring/summer version. I always love the dramatic change that occurs when simply swapping out a duvet & lampshades!
The things I never really loved about our summer look were the curtains. They were a basic, light khaki, linen-esque fabric that hang from tab tops. Nothing glaringly wrong with them, but just kind of blah. They blended in with the walls and I really wanted something with a bit more impact.
I always thought crisp white curtains would look great as well, but since I've been having so much fun with pattern lately I decided to go bold. I ordered this gorgeous chevron fabric from fabric.com for under $8/yd.
Since our balcony doors face east, we get a ton of early morning light. I wanted to make sure we had a bit more light coverage so I used the old curtains as a backing & the chevron on the front. I sewed them inside out like a giant duvet, straight lines made easy by the zig zags.
I had some puckering/gathering issues which MADE ME CRAZY, but you can't see them unless you inspect each seam. No biggie (I need a new sewing machine or perhaps a walking foot?) I hung them with dark clips to match the current rod and love the results!
Then I hemmed them in place so that they just touch the floor. I like the look of curtains that softly gather on the ground, but the two layers were pretty thick and didn't pool very well. Plus, we are regularly in and out of these doors and the fabric sweeping back and forth would get dirty.
In all, I spent under $50 for the new window treatments (fabric, clips). We have really tall ceilings & doors so buying curtains would have been a lot more expensive! I am happy that I took the effort to DIY.
I absolutely love the new window treatments. It's darker in the morning & more visually interesting all day. Now I need to get working on those pesky living room curtains, of which I have narrowed it down to approximately 47 fabrics. Give or take a few.